A Guide to Get Your ITIN
21 Feb 2018
If you are planning to settle in the U.S permanently and the process and expenditures are too extensive that your plans seem to have minute chances to be accomplished. So, in order to pursue your American dream, you have to legalize yourself as a U.S citizen because as an immigrant you cannot fully enjoy the facilities provided by the government.
What is An ITIN?
In pursuance to get legalized you need to follow and fulfill all the legal formalities i.e. you need to follow all the laws and regulations of the U.S like paying the taxes, bills etc on time. But as an immigrant you cannot have a Social Security Number (SSN) like other U.S citizens, then how can you be sure that the heavy taxes you are paying are getting on official record? For this purpose the U.S government has introduced an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) for all those persons residing in the U.S who don’t have an SSN. Because if you don’t pay your business taxes on time; it can result in some serious legal actions against you. Being an immigrant, you must always act as you’re under surveillance.
ITIN a key to legalization:
For non residents of the U.S, it is as important to have an ITIN as it is to have your passport with you. It facilitates us a lot and is definitely our key to get legalized because after acquiring ITIN you become a part of the American tax system. ITIN facilitates the government as well as the individual; you can easily file your tax returns, open a bank account and apply for credit etc.
How to get ITIN:
You can forward an ITIN application easily. For this you are required to file form W-7, which is an application for IRS individual taxpayer identification number along with your other identification documents. This will help you get your ITIN which works as your temporary tax identification number . After processing all your details and if you are eligible, the IRS will issue your ITIN number through mail.
Where, when and why to apply for ITIN:
You can apply for ITIN by any of these methods, whichever you find more convenient,
- You can either Mail your documents i.e. W-7, tax return, proof of identity, and foreign status documents to:
- Internal Revenue Service,
- Austin Service Center ITIN Operation,
- P.O. Box 149342 Austin, TX 78714-9342. You can only file a tax return to the address above one time, when you file Form W-7 to get an ITIN. In upcoming years, when you have an ITIN, you will file your Form 1040, 1040A, and 1040EZ as directed in the instructions given in the form.
- Another option is get help of an expert you can also file for your ITIN number by using the services of an authorized IRS agent.
- Or you can directly take an appointment at any nearby IRS taxpayer assistance center.
There is no time restriction to apply for an ITIN number; you can apply at any time of the year. You just need to complete your documentations and send in the W-7 form.