Safer working environment is a much-debated topic, just because, specific actions and trainings are rarely put to practical use. Besides, workplaces have grown to be so dynamic and change according to the nature of a business making it harder to implement best practices for employee’s safety. HR might not be apt enough to tackle this, and you, as a business owner, might not see the financial benefit of hiring professional full-time safety crew. In this scenario, the only way left to improve and ensure safety of your team is to take charge yourself.
Safer Working Environment
You can take the best safety practices and mold them according to your enthronement and business to ensure perfect work-safety balance. Let’s find out how?
A proper dress is essential in scenarios where workers have to do regular field/ factory visits, get in contact with heavy machinery, be in flame prone enthronement or supervise a construction site. They need specialized flame-resistant shirts, jeans and jackets. This FR clothing can be the best companion along with essential head, eye and foot gear. For more information about FR jackets, click here.
For workers lifting heavy weight, proper technique and trainings shall be imparted to ensure they do not injure themselves. No need to hire full-time pros for this purpose, you can arrange for seminars and day drills. Above all, make them memorize and practice the golden rules of lifting:
- Use both hands while lifting
- Never lift from back, always use your legs to bring load up
- If it’s too heavy for legs, don’t lean, ask for help. This is nothing to be ashamed of at a workplace
- Use a back brace/ support belt
- While using ladders to get heavy objects, inspect ladders firsts
- Never go with compromised ladder or harness
Taking the Help of Technology
There are certain guidelines that need to be followed when it comes to machinery.
- Machines of all sorts whether small loaders, lifters or construction tools, shall be properly placed and organized
- Always assign tools, so they are kept in clean, organized and functional state
- SOPs shall clearly define who can access certain tools and machines under certain circumstances
- Encourage training of workforce on safety and on the use of different tools and equipment to keep their skills and knowledge at par with industry standard
- Sprinkling systems are a must for your office, warehouse and factory sites along with proper protective gear
Apart from specific safety guidelines, there are few important generic ones to ensure safety of office and administrative staff.
- Pay close attention to entry and exit routes; both normal usage paths and emergency routes
- Eliminate any obstacles, sharp edged corners, bumps and thuds. Office furniture shall have rounded corners too.
- First aid kits must always be ready, with multiple people from varying departments trained to use them
- Similarly, multiple people from different departments should be trained to perform CPR
- Strict no-drinking policy should be implemented at workplace, people’s attitude and behaviors both need to be kept in-check.
- Try to eliminate stress by offering proper work-life balance. You can arrange seminars, invite motivational speakers and arrange recreational trips.
- Keep indoor temperatures comfortable, neither too cold nor too warm, and arrange for proper meals service or meal breaks
- Encourage reporting of un-safe activities, practices, leakages or any other malfunction that can become a future safety hazard
- Always keep emergency services numbers at hand, on display